Skip navigation
The Australian National University

Future students

Interested in studying

Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people who are interested in studying at ANU should contact the Tjabal Centre. 

The Tjabal Indigenous Higher Education Centre also runs an enabling program for Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people who have not completed an approved tertiary preparation course. Again, please contact Tjabal for more information.


There are lots of options for getting into study at ANU. If you haven't met the entrance rank requirements there are still opportunities to explore.

Planning your studies

The ANU website includes lots of information that will help you with planning your studies. See the Undergraduate Handbook for outlines of program structure and lists of courses offered at the University. The Study@ANU site is useful as a first point of contact for prospective students to find out about the programs (degrees) offered at ANU.

The Tjabal Indigenous Higher Education Centre can also give you advice on planning your studies. Drop into the Centre, or make an appointment to see one of our staff. If we aren’t able to answer your questions, we can help you find the person who can.

Financing your studies

Financial assistance

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students may obtain financial assistance through the Aboriginal Study Assistance Scheme (ABSTUDY). This scheme is administered by the Centrelink, and prospective students are advised to lodge application forms at least six weeks before the start of their course. ABSTUDY can be contacted on toll-free phone number 1800 132 317 or online.


There are a number of scholarships available for Indigenous students. See the Scholarships website for current information on these and other scholarship opportunities.


ANU has eight Halls and Colleges ranging from self-catered to fully-catered, depending on your individual requirements. We understand that many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students have families wishing to accompany them during their studies at ANU. We can assist in finding suitable accommodation either through local Aboriginal organisations or through the ANU Accommodation Service. The ANU Accommodation Service will direct you to the most suitable accommodation services and has excellent links with members operating in private sector housing.

All accommodation enquiries should be made through the ANU University Accommodation Service on telephone (02) 6125 1100 or see the website.

Updated: 18 August 2014/ Responsible Officer:  Registrar / Page Contact:  Webstyle